Thursday, March 29, 2012

How Safe Are You Driving?

I am a terrible driver. I'm impatient, fixated on time, and focused on efficiency.

It makes me complain when people drive like maniacs and while I'm complaining I forget to realize that sometimes I'm no gem.

I was heading home one day when the freeway was jam packed with a road closure. Being the incredibly gifted male that I am, I decided that I would exit and navigate around the road closure. I'm looking for a road that I'm familiar with and all of a sudden I start descending down a hill in a residential area. A man starts waving his arms and induces my car to a complete stop. I look at his attire from the bottom up. Black boots, black slacks, a belt, a holster, and then yes, a badge. Well, well, well looks like someone is going to turn on the excuse faucet. Should I go with, I'm sorry officer I really have to use the bathroom? I'm sorry officer I am completely lost. I'm sorry officer I was late for an appointment. Or just...I'm sorry.

Well this aviator mustache toting officer wasn't having any of that (totally did not look like that, but come on this is my story and you're going to like it). License and registration. Residents have been complaining about speeders coming down this hill. You were going 38 in a 25 and here is your ticket. To his credit he was actually a very polite and helpful officer, but when you're being issued a ticket you could care less.

Well what does this mean? A hefty fine and the two most dreaded words next to jury duty, TRAFFIC SCHOOL.

I was dragged to the class on a Sunday morning for eight hours, but for the first two hours I was actually learning a few things that I didn't know. I was just nodding my head and saying to myself, "wow that's so true." While the other students in the class were strangely looking at me as if the teacher had said, "garbage goes in the garbage can." Oh really? Do you think you know all of the laws of the road? Well see if you can answer some of the most interesting questions:

If you are being tailgated, you should...
A) Increase your following distance
B) Brake Quickly
C) Signal the tailgater when it is safe to pass you

You want to merge onto a freeway. You should drive...
A) At or near the same speed as the freeway traffic
B) At the posted freeway speed limit
C) 10 mph slower than the freeway traffic

When making a left or right turn, you are required to signal for the last ____ feet prior to turning.
A) 50 feet
B) 75 feet
C) 100 feet
D) 125 feet

What blood alcohol content allows a driver to be convicted of driving under the influence?
A) .01
B) .04
C) .08
D) .10

Who processes alcohol faster, men or women?

Who processes marijuana faster, men or women?

The answers are:
A
A
C
B
Men
Women

Other interesting facts:
-Just because there is no "Do not turn sign" doesn't make it legal
-same goes for U-turns
-you must be 18 in from the curb
-you should be 6 in from red lane
-red arrow = no right on red
-when merging on freeway, you should always check 2 lanes over, not just 1
-do not stare at an aggressive driver even if they are honking at you and driving like an idiot
-pedestrians always have the right of way
-you must park at least 15 feet away from a fire hydrant
-you can have 3 points per 12 months, the 4th would result in a suspension
-you can make a left turn into a driveway or road, unless a sign is posted

Bottom line:

Be a less aggressive driver, drive slower, and be more cautious.

If you don't the consequence could be a traffic ticket, the worst consequence is losing your life, or attending another 8-hour traffic school.

Happy trails to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment